This map is intended first of all for the following user groups:
- Forest harvesting companies that are committed to responsible forest management;
- Buyers of timber from the Republic of Karelia, whose procurement policies restrict buying timber from high conservation value forests as well as financial and credit organizations which are going to invest to the forestry sector;
- State forest inventory enterprises responsible for assigning forests different protection categories and types of specially protected patches;
- Governmental bodies and conservation NGOs dealing with establishment of protected nature areas.
The map contains to date the most accurate and detailed contours of intact (old-growth) forests refined based on field data and imagery of 2004-2005. The following types of intact forests are shown:
- Intact forest landscapes – also known as large landscape level forests
- Intact forest tracts – also known as old-growth or intact forests
- Areas of concentrated occurrence of small fragments of old-growth forests.
The mapped types of intact (old-growth) forests should be considered high conservation value forest (HCVF) as defined by Forest Stewardship Council (FSC). See further details here.
These are conclusive efforts aimed to map intact forests in the Republic of Karelia. The list of previous publications on intact (old-growth) forests in Karelia with our comments see here. We hope that there you will find answers to the most of your questions regarding the correspondence between different maps.
The map* is available in different formats:
- As A1 poster in PDF format. This is a generalized map at the scale 1 : 1 000 000. Using it you may identify location of a respective intact forest tract to the lesnichestvo (forestry) level. Short descriptions of types of intact forests mapped and methods of their mapping as well as photos are available from the poster. Download poster (21,7 Ìá).
- Detailed maps in PDF format. These maps are at the scale 1 : 200 000. Using them you may identify location of a respective intact forest tract to the forest block (kvartal) level. Each image fits A4 page.
Use map grid to find a specific sheet. Select the sheet and click on it in the map grid to load it in PDF format. (File sizes vary from 200 Kb to 1.5 Mb)
- If you are familiar with geoinformation systems (GIS), you may download the borders of intact forest tracts as shape files (archive’s size is 1 Mb). This is a GIS format of the ESRI’s product family and can be imported to other GIS systems. Files are compressed using archive manager WinRAR. For unzipping the archive a free version of this program is downloadable from the developer’s site.
- Borders of intact forest tracts in GoogleEarth format (archive’s size is 380 kb). If you use GoogleEarth service, you may lay the borders of intact forest tracts immediately over satellite imagery and Google maps. If you do not know how to do that, read the instructions. If you are not familiar with GoogleEarth,we advice you to do this as soon as possible. :)
Files are also compressed using archive manager WinRAR.
Brief description of the method used to map these forests can be found here.
No doubts the urgent need for such a map and significant interest to the problem will give rise to some critical comments to this publication. Therefore, we decided to make a public review of the map before publishing it. The purpose of the review process is to improve map’s quality, to avoid possible mistakes and to gain map recognition by experts and stakeholders.
All stakeholders and knowledgeable individuals and organizations are invited to review the map. Further details see here.